Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Earwigs Love Artichokes Too

I love gardening. This season, I discovered that my artichoke plant was finally producing some beautiful thistles for my dining pleasure. I had a total of 4 awesome chokes in all. Well, I went on a road trip last week, having forgotten that I had a couple waiting for me. This was perfect timing. I had next to nothing in the fridge. I always like to have something green, and this qualify, even if they are not technically a vegetable.

Two nights ago, I steamed one, and decided to peel off the leaves beforehand. I usually just peel as I go, but I wanted to enjoy it without having to scoop out the heart. It was ready to eat. Yum. Sometimes I like to eat two at a time. This gives me more meat. I will tend to eat fast and furious, as if my life depended on it. I have been working on that. But still, I scarf my food down.

So…Even though I had pre-peeled, I hadn't noticed that some earwigs had decided to make this artichoke their home. I had boiled them along with my meal. One of the leaves I had eaten had one stuck to it. Ewww! Thankfully, it had been the leaf on the bottom of my stack, so I had not really eaten an earwig, but I was close.

Here's the deal. I am a lover of all living things. Correction: most living things. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot like the earwig. My last home was in a studio where it tended to get a little moist. I had a very large earwig infestation once that totally grossed me out. They were right outside my front door, and making their way inside. There were literally hundreds of them swarming at my doorstep. Those pincers creep me out, and the scales are reminiscent of cockroaches.

I am one of those people who carry a Daddy Long Legs out, gently laying them down on the porch. That is not the case with earwigs. I will step on them, flush them, whatever it takes to get them as far away from me as humanly possible.

Apparently, this time, I cooked them up as a delicacy.

Knowing my feelings about earwigs, I decided to try not to make too big of a deal out of this. I carefully inspected each artichoke leaf, remembering that the crunch I tasted was in fact the garlic in my butter and not a bug. This was challenging, but I got through it. The fact that the artichoke was absolutely delicious really helped.

Last night, I thoroughly rinsed my choke, peeled beforehand, AND looked at the leaves before devouring my feast. Luckily, there were no earwigs present in this one. Whew.

I survived a near earwig consumption, and did not have nightmares. There is a God.

5 comments:

Em Johnston said...

have you found any method for getting the buggers off of your artichoke plants before you harvest and cook?
Mine are just starting to bud (first time, as I planted them last year) and I'm kinda grossed out by the earwigs. i dumped soapy water on them today... but I'm not sure that helped. Just ticked the bugs off.
ergh.

ida said...

We picked our first two huge artichokes and immersed them in a sink full of water and - I'm not kidding - about 100 earwigs started crawling of them; brown ones, black ones, white ones. We're seriously grossed out. I don't know if I can eat them now or not. I'm I being too squeamish? Maybe I'm not the farmer I thought I was.

Unknown said...

I haven't actually attempted to grow any more artichokes since this time, which was several years ago..so I am unsure about how to lure them away before cooking. I also have grown to accept and respect the earwig as an equal inhabitant of Mother Earth. I no longer end their lives prematurely. But if I happen to find myself harvesting chokes next season, there's a chance I may do so inadvertently. I guess they'll just have to take their chances.

Unknown said...

I really ought to create a hash tag for these blogs in insects. How about #insectsarefriends?

Unknown said...

Or #iloveinsects