Monday, March 10, 2008

Inertia VS Momentum

AAAAHHHHH!!!!

OK, now that I have expressed my frustration properly, here is what's up.

I had a full day to work on some projects, some studying I need to get done so I can relax and enjoy a movie with my friend Riki tonight. I began with a run this morning at around 8am, and returned by 9ish. I did some simple chores, took a shower, ate breakfast. I literally YELLED at the guy YELLING next door to stop YELLING! This looks so funny in print, but I was so not laughing at the time. I yelled, "Con permiso, no MAS!". I actually feel quite proud of myself lately, regarding the workers next door. There is a lot of daily commotion, most of which I can do nothing about. But there are some things I just don't say anything about that could be different, like music blaring on a weekend at 8am!

Well, the other day, I asked politely, en espanol, for them to please turn the music down when it is early morning on a Sunday. The young man nodded, and proceeded to turn it down until a reasonable hour. I felt so good about this. But today, I lost my cool. The guy was yelling "Propio!" several times, trying to get his attention apparently, because it was time to take a break. It was 10am. How rude! I grumbled. Even after I yelled for him to stop, he continued. I guess he finally found his friend, or actually answered my plea, 'cause he eventually put an end to the hollering (until around 1pm when he had to get one more in).

Once I got over that, I decided to balance my check book. Not a bad idea, but I was avoiding my tasks at hand, which I am doing right now. I have a full laundry basket just waiting to be taken for a wash, rinse, and spin. I have incompleted flash cards for my least favorite statistics course.

I also have a paper I haven't started on the Premack Principle, which ironically enough has to do with what is happening now. Our instructor used a plate of food as an analogy. If there is some spinach, potatoes, and chocolate cake on the plate, what I am doing right now is eating the cake before my spinach. On Saturday, I ate spinach first (did my HW), and was able to thoroughly enjoy my cake, which was free time outside in the sunshine. Our assignment involves the changing of a habit, using this principle, and writing about it. I suppose I could say I am doing research right now. Or...it's just that damned inertia, moving me nowhere, keeping me stagnant, preventing me from fully living. Yep, that could be it, too.

Once again, I begin to feel a sense of impending doom, whenever I have such a loose plan for the day. Grrrr. Additionally, I am caught between simply writing for a living, and doing all the other psych crap in front of me first. Creative writing is my chocolate cake at the moment, with psychology being the spinach. Even more ironic is the fact that I eat a delicious spinach salad every day for lunch.

Alright, I am going to start....NOW! My momentum just magically kicked in, as I noticed that it is already 12:45pm. Yikes.

1 comment:

Phil said...

I've loved your past five entries! So good! Keep it up :)