Sunday, April 6, 2008

There is such a thing as too much research...

I overheard a radio commercial last week for a new item at Wendy’s, called the Spicy Baconator. All I heard that perked my ears was that it had 7 slices of bacon! The spokesperson claimed, "If you can’t count the amount of slices on two hands, it isn’t enough." I am paraphrasing, but you get the point. I was immediately appalled, and frankly, pretty grossed out. I love bacon, don’t get me wrong. But that portion size could feed me for 3 meals!

So, I decided to research this ridiculous burger. I went to the Wendy’s website, where they tell me, "It’s waaaay better than fast food. It’s Wendy’s." Are they actually claiming to NOT be fast food? Come on. Then, I checked out nutrition information for this Spicy Baconator. This fresh not frozen burger with 6 slices of bacon and pepper jack cheese has 1120 calories, fully loaded. The average daily caloric intake is supposed to be around 2000 calories, depending on age and body size. And...the average American is likely to order a combo meal, which includes fries and a soft drink. That makes the total close to 1500 calories. Wow.

The supersizing phenomenon began back in the 1970s, to increase revenue. So not only does the average fast food eater order the fries and drink, they get enough for 2-3 people! Portion control problems have been rising, as the weight and health issues of Americans soar. And we continue to be encouraged to consume MORE by the fast food industry.

Here’s another disturbing fact: Wendy’s and other fast foods contain enormous amounts of additives, preservatives, and artificial flavors, not to mention trans fats and loads of salts and sugars. Some of these chemicals can be found in sunscreen, semiconductors, paint, and food coloring. Ew.

I noticed that salad dressings were filled with the most additives, their ingredients list being a whole paragraph. Lettuce was the only ingredient untouched.

Anyway, whenever I get interested in knowing the facts about something in our world, I rush in like gangbusters to find out everything I can about it. If you are anything like me, you ought to check out what we have been voluntarily consuming and applying for most of our lives. Although I occasionally come off a little fanatical, I do believe it is important to know what we are being served, foods or otherwise, so that we can make conscious, healthy choices. Here are a few websites for ya.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_8231.cfm
http://www.wendys.com/
http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/fastfood032103.cfm
http://www.ewg.org/node/21319

OK, I am now stepping off of my soapbox. Have a happy, healthy evening.

No comments: