Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Oral B Guy is so not a Smooth Operator

OK, so there’s this guy in my social psych class who one day mentioned using no toothpaste and an Oral B electric toothbrush. This was during a discussion on persuasion through advertising and marketing. He swore he was unaffected by advertising. Yet, he mentioned the brand name Oral B. I did not know his name.

After our exam today, about 5-6 of the women from the class gathered to compare answers and grumble about confusing questions. Essentially, we were holding a debriefing in the hallway. He approached and I said, "Oh, hey. You’re the Oral B guy, right? That’s how I remember you, from that day you mentioned using it." He did not clarify by offering his name.

Instead, he offered a kiss! This sounded so ridiculous. He was the only guy in a group of women, and we had amassed to about 8 of us. He said, "So, do you wanna kiss?" No one responded, so it was seemingly overlooked as a nonissue. I personally picked up on the cheesy pick up line, and immediately found enough humor to write about it in a blog.

I have been observing said Oral B guy for a few weeks, ever since he mentioned his dental care practices. He appears awkward and impulsive. He is the guy who will speak out when silence would definitely serve him. He strikes me as a bit socially inept. Mind you, we are all studying psychology to be either therapists or teachers. Oy vay, as my mom would say. I am so glad we are required to have our own therapy sessions before we begin our practice. I could just hear him saying to a client with relationship issues, "So, do you wanna kiss?"

He happened to be parked next to me this evening. He said a cheery "Goodbye, classmate" and took off to wherever life takes him. Thanks Oral B guy, for being our entertainment for the day.

No comments: