Saturday, December 1, 2007

Done

Done

There you are again, invading my space
Taking over like an army of ants parading through my veins
Clogging my aorta, you are the plaque that suffocates my capacity to love
I thought I was done

But there you are, smiling coyly
And I change my mind again
You pervade all reason
I thought I was done

I crave you like a drink
a shimmering glass of wine
Just begging me to swallow your dishonesty
I drink in your attentive selfishness
I am not done yet

You take what I allow you to own
I constantly relinquish my soul
For just one more cracked glass of you
Addiction precludes all logic
Will I ever be done?

I indulge you, itching for all that I know
A cold, refreshing glass of ale
Just one more for the road, I say
Then I am back where I began
I am not done.

Temporary relief is expensive
My spirit is in debt
When I try to justify sabotage
Sensual pleasure is fleeting
And yet I still yearn for the illusion
Believing it is worth the price

Then I wake up to my world without you
With an empty soul, heart on the floor
Emotionally hungover, I move toward the truth.
I choose to leave.
I am finally…DONE.

[Originally written on January 16, 2005]

[Edited in 2007]


No comments: