Saturday, December 15, 2007

Aconsumerism and Abundance

I just made up a new word...at least I think it's new.

ACONSUMERISM: Without consumption...ie, the absence of consuming.

This is meant to take the place of "anti" consumerism, which literally means "against". I am not against consumerism, I just purposely refrain from being a consumer (ie, buying stuff) when I have no need. I prefer to engage in activities that encourage sharing, learning, and a sense of community. That's what aconsumerism does for me.

This is not to say that I do not consume. I just think before I buy. I am purchasing some items to make gifts this year, instead of spending hundreds of dollars on things that may be worthless next year.

I just read in the Independent that we spend an average of $859 on holiday gifts! This is reduced from $907 last year. No wonder so many Americans are in debt. There is no doubt that a majority of the purchases are by credit card, so the money is also being given to large corporations, not just our families and dear friends.

Just imagine other ways this money could be spent...

Money isn't going anywhere...yet. So maybe we could think of it as a useful tool, to bring goodness and equality to our fellow humans in the world. I can live without an ipod, or a brand new pair of jeans. But none of us live well without love.

Peace and love to all. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent post! I agree completely!

Theslowlane Robert Ashworth said...

The joy of not being too materialistic. We would have a better world if more folks thought that way.

Thanks for your post to my blog. Yes, I do support universal access to health care and edited in another sentence in that article to make it more clear.

Summer of 2006, I bicycled to Santa Barbara from Bellingham, WA. Yes a beautiful city, but would be expensive to live there. Most of that trip, I camped in California coastal state parks that offer a great rate of only $3 per night if one is traveling by bicycle.

Pays to travel light.