Monday, December 10, 2007

Pachyderm

Pachyderm

The elephant just sits
inside our conversation
wanting to get out
He's been ignored too long
Feeling awkward, there's no doubt

Unspoken words hang in the air
right when I take a breath
I had a chance to tell you
but the moment met its death

I try on new behavior
like I'm shopping for a ring
Wishing, hoping, dreading
that the wedding bells might sing

With you I'd see forever
filling up with pain
choosing to say nothing
of stifled thoughts insane

Secrets can't be hidden well
They get revealed someday
And that elephant is getting old and tired
of games that people play

It’s painful in reality
but I accept what we are now
I know that I can change myself
but you, I can't somehow

Please accept condolences
for when you lost your voice
I'll wait to listen for what's real
As you turn and make your choice

[December 10th, 2007]

No comments: