Monday, December 17, 2007

On excavating and space clearing in the wintertime

I love it when Santa Barbara actually gets some weather. You know, when it isn't a comfortable 70 degrees, with a slight ocean breeze. I feel so cozy this evening. And I love the pitter patter of falling rain. I was really cold pretty much all day. Now I get to cuddle up by my gas heater in my PJs and look at old photographs. I decided to do some spring cleaning in the wintertime, since I have a lengthy vacation from school. It's time to toss out the old, and bring in the new. I am feeling the winds of change lately, not just with stuff. But I do believe that my literal stuff coincides with my inner stuff, and cleaning it out and clearing it up is just the thing to do right now.

Yesterday I went through my closet, and found some darling tops I could wear, if I could have reached them in the melee filled with extraneous vestments. OK, now my words are just too flowery. Let me clarify: I have too much stuff (in general) just waiting to be shared with someone who will actually use it!

I am passing on the 30 + tee shirts and lace tops that could fit a preteen, as well as the patterned tops that don't suit me. I have also been holding onto faves that are hanging there looking like a favorite...if I would only wear them. It's hilarious how I can be so attached to items of clothing. I still have like 5-6 different blazers and sweater type deals that I want to use, but just forget about.

I get hooked on certain outfits, so I end up wearing maybe 2-3 different combos per week. This includes Costco tank tops and yoga pants, give or take a sweater and/or hoodie. Lately I add an adorable lime green knit hat with a tassle on top, and a seafoam green scarf that almost matches. I wear the same ones all week, since I am such a creature of habit. In choosing an outfit, comfort is a key element, along with utility, and of course, cuteness. If I smile in awe of my awesome sexiness when I put it on, it stays. ;)

I've been thinking of all the stuff I have accumulated over the years, and what it says about me now and then, and in between now and then. I am currently glancing at a bookshelf overflowing with used and new spiral notebooks, some dating back to 1992. I used them as journals for many years, and not all of them are filled completely. I have kept old textbooks, from 1990 and beyond. Seriously. Then I have the beginnnings of a notebook for recipes, unfinished of course, along with all 4 years of my high school yearbooks.

But oh, no, it doesn't stop there. In addition to all of this random crap, I have...you guessed it...more random crap! I won't even bore you with any further detail. Let's just say that if my house burned down, the only thing I would really want to be sure I had are my cats. I would definitely want all of my photos, a lot of my books, and some of my paperwork, including an unused passport. But, I would not be devestated without it.

This yearning to live simply has been brewing for quite some time. I sit amongst clutter daily, and have begun to feel the discomfort of being somewhat immersed in it. I believe that having ADHD has propelled me, since it can frequently be the cause of the propensity for cluttering. If I didn't have these "symptoms", I may not have grown tired of the mess I find myself sitting in. So, I guess it has been a catalyst for change. Yay. I knew that being impulsive and innattentive could be good for something. I get these ideas, you know, like a bee in my bonnet (so to speak), that will direct my course. This is one of those moments.

It's time for a change...And I am ready. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Check out SB Freecycle:

http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/California/Santa%20Barbara

Another idea is to have a women's gathering and clothing exchange. Whatever clothes don't get exchanged can be given to the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission.

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I give all my clothes away at the Really Really Free Market. BTW, check out the details further down my blog. It's on December 30th from 11am til dark at Alice Keck Park. Hope to see you there!

Thank you for the info on Freecycle.

Peace, Michelle :)